1.19.2008

IMT: (not very far) Beyond my comfort zone
I've wanted to machine sew on paper for quite some time, but something has always stopped me. It seemed like an awful lot of trouble to change needles in my sewing machine. I felt certain I would manage to screw up the tension or break my machine in some way by sewing on paper. But I had the machine on my studio work table, already warmed up from doing some very creative patching of my sweetie's favorite jeans, and I had this tag book project just languishing in my "get to it" pile. I also had the wonderful image from a Seattle Art Museum exhibit program, a few small loteria cards, a snip of text from a truly awful novel, and a scrap of handmade paper infused with roses. All it took was one brave moment to pop out the needle I'd been using to sew the fabric, pop in a new needle to sew the paper, and I was doing it.
Yeah! Go me!
Okay, so it's not a very big leap out of my comfort zone, but it was a step. I'm glad I took it. I hope to spend some time over this weekend finishing up the tag book project and sewing up some paper quilts on my machine.

11 comments:

PJ said...

Way to go on stepping out of your comfort zone!!! Looks good! I have also by painting and going to make a paper doll...I will post it on my blog and share on IMT soon...Such a good prompt isn't it?

gkgirl said...

a step is a step is a step for sure...
and i think it turned out
cool...

alice k. said...

Now you inspired me to try the same thing! I've been afraid to try it as well. BTW, your tag is totally awesome!

Deb G said...

I like it! I was really nervous the first time I used my sewing machine on paper too.

laurel said...

Love it! I've been wanting to do that too. What stops me is pulling out that large sewing machine especially if it's just for one project. You may have just inspired me to do it anyway.

Charlie said...

I have sewn a few paper projects for scrapbook pages and I never changed the needle. Oops. Your tag turned out really nice.

titration said...

When I read you sewed on paper I thought something totally different than this and this looks fantastic. creative! :)

Laura said...

Well done - the posibilities are endless now.

Nicole V Lozano said...

Who said you have to move to a whole new country... trying different things just down the block from where you are is good to. Turned out great!

Anonymous said...

I completely understand your feelings too. It's interesting that several of us agree with you in this. But isn't it so much fun. One thing that can make it easier is to use a neutral color for your bobbin. That helps a lot if you are changing your top thread several times.

I like the picture!

Anonymous said...

Firts of all - your image is really cool, and i love the stitching! As far as taking just a small step - well, that's what it's all about - dipping your toe into the water, so to speak. I'm going to guess that you'll be doing a lot more of this:>